Feb 20, 2010

Feeling a litte slow

Work hasn't gotten physically intense yet, but mentally intense. We have been taking tests every day on what we have learned and we also are in the process of memorizing about 80 NLUs which I think stands for Numbered Look Up or something like that. Like any grocery store, produce usually doesn't have bar codes. So in Aldi's pursuit of efficiency and reducing prices for customers, all cashiers must memorize the 2 digit codes for all the different items so we can enter them at check out. Speaking of Aldi, Mike and I had to run errands today and one of them brought us to Aldi for groceries. I am still amazed at the prices there and, believe it or not, the quality is great. I have enjoyed almost every product I have purchased there. Since we were out and about running errands, I didn't get a chance to cook my planned dinner of chorizo tacos (but I will being doing it tomorrow night!).

On the weekend I normally like to make a special breakfast so as to save our cereal for the weekdays when we need to eat in a hurry. I was browsing through some of the blogs I normally visit and I stumbled upon this recipe. I have never heard of German pancakes before and it sounded easy enough (plus I have been dying to use my blender again). Before going into the oven:
 
And after I cut it and dusted it with powdered sugar:
 
I didn't make the buttermilk syrup but instead I added some sugar and a little vanilla to the batter (which I cut in half). I then baked it in a 9x9 inch glass pan. Each slice ended up being about 1/2 inch thick. It was surprisingly good! The center almost had the consistency of a custard, but tasted like a pancake. It was so easy to make too that we are most certainly going to make this one again.

Remember the azalea bonsai I received from Mike pre-Valentine's day? Well all the gorgeous flowers are starting to bloom:
 
  
Aren't the pretty?!? Oh, and if you have a keen eye, you will see in the top picture, in the lower right, some avocado seeds. The large one on top is a Florida avocado and the smaller bottom one is a haas avocado. Mike has successfully got at least 4 seeds to sprout and he is working on some more for our garden. 
Please stay tuned for some chorizo tacos tomorrow! In the mean time, please enjoy this photo I took back in 2006 when I was with a class canoeing in a river near Tallahassee, FL. You can see the outline of a large manatee that was trying to swim under our canoe:


No comments:

Post a Comment