Jun 23, 2010

Pumpkin....my favortie flavor, even in summer

There is just something about pumpkin mixed with cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger that makes me go crazy. I can sit and eat a can of pumpkin puree if you just give me a little sugar and spice to mix into it. Mmmmmmm....

I forgot to take pictures of dinner tonight. It was nothing fancy. Aldi had a special on frozen turkey burgers, and in our effort to eat healthy and cook at home more, I grilled up some of those burgers and paired it with whole wheat buns, fresh tomatoes, and some pickles. Turkey burgers don't have the same savory flavor that beef burgers do, but they do the trick.

For dessert I was craving pumpkin. I found this recipe for pumpkin custard and, since I had everything it called for, I figured I would give it a shot. The mixer in action:
 Boy, I have not used the mixer in a long time. Anyway, it said to bake the custard in a roasting pan filled part of the way up with water:
I don't know what happened, but it was not set after 45 minutes like the recipe said it should be. I ended up cooking it for about 90 minutes before it was set enough for my liking. Maybe it had something to do with the skim milk I used. The recipe didn't say what kind of milk to use, and all I had was skim and soy milk. But I think in general I am just not that good with custards....practice makes perfect! The finished custard (sorry I took a piece out first):
It wasn't half bad. It was more like pumpkin pudding than custard and I think that has to do with the fact that the recipe only called for 2 eggs. The other 2 custards I have made called for quite a few more. The recipe also said to serve it with vanilla ice cream which I think would have been a great addition. Maybe I will try that tomorrow (once I get some ice cream!).

Last night I had to work late since Tuesday is meeting night. Mike decided to cook for himself and what did he make? Pizza! Of course! He made his version of my dough recipe and topped the pizza with homemade sauce, mozzarella, onions, tomato (from the garden!), and, after it was done cooking, basil:


I didn't get to try it fresh, but I had it today for lunch and it was very good. The onions had lost a little of their kick, but still good.


I am off again tomorrow and it's Mike and I's 9 year anniversary! Yay! Until next time please enjoy this photo of one of my younger brothers, Nicholas, as he was feeding my Aunt's goats back when they lived in NY:
My computer doesn't have the right info on when this photo was taken since it has traveled between so many computers, but I can guess sometime during or before 2005. Just FYI :)

No comments:

Post a Comment